Sunday, November 13, 2011

Conversion part 6

So, its been a long time since I added a chapter to my conversion story and I've been thinking about it a lot lately so, I will attempt to continue. My last conversion post was about what I learned from Elder Shrieve, you can read about it here or start from the beginning here, its a doosey though.

These next two chapters will be about two groups of people who changed my thoughts about the church from something-I-need-right-now to the-only-church-with-God's-authority.

This chapter is called: The Toomey's

I was baptized into a different ward than my best friend Tara. I was really tempted to just go to her ward because I didn't know anyone in my ward except the missionaries. I don't know who, maybe it was Tara, convinced me to go to my ward. I thought, I'll go once so I can say I tried it out but then I'll go to Tara's ward. That was my plan.

I went to my ward, sat in the back, talked to no one and fabricate thoughts about how unfriendly this ward was. After sacrament meeting, I got up to leave but Jana Toomey was too quick. She was a pregnant mother of three and someone I never thought I could really have a connection with, mostly because we were so different. Just to remind you, I was not the same person many of you know now, obviously not as cool and mature as I am now (insert sarcasm here). But seriously, I was pretty immature. She told me her family just moved into our neighborhood and invited me over for dinner. Honestly, I accepted because I didn't know how to say no.

I can't remember if it was a Sunday or a Monday that I went to Jana's house for dinner. I don't think it really matters. I don't really remember much about that first time I had dinner with the Toomey's except the fact that I felt little uncomfortable at their house. With that said, they invited me to join them for family home evening each week, and thats what I did.

I don't know how long I joined them each monday, I can't recall a single lesson or remember a single meal they served me. What I can tell you is that the Toomey's showed me what living the gospel looks likes. They let me be a part of their family in a very personal way. They taught me pure doctrine simply by living their lives and letting me be a part of it. I'm not saying they were perfect and I'm not saying that my family members weren't good examples to me (I have an incredible family!) all I am saying is that my time being a part of the Toomey's family showed me what Heavenly Father knew someday I would want.

I'm absolutely positive that the Toomey's have no idea how integral these family home evenings were to my conversion. I didn't know it at the time either. I didn't realize this until I meet the next group of people, which I will tell you all about on another day.

Anyway, last thing, maybe Jana wasn't the first person I thought I could really be friends with, but she was the kind of friend every person needs to have in their life at sometime. Sometimes the most unpredictable friendships are the most cherished. I strive to be a friend like Jana.

Next chapter? JetBlue....

to be continued...

2 comments:

middledavis said...

Thanks for posting your conversion story, Jen. I enjoy reading about your early days in the church.

vandi said...

Love these Jen: ) Keep posting!